LEAD FRONT-END ENGINEER
Reports to: Tom Shawver, CTO
Location: Fully Remote, US only
The Lead Front-End Engineer is an in-the-weeds project executor who helps to define our user-facing technology stack and lends their skills to both greenfield development and existing product advancement across web and mobile. This position will translate end-product vision into development tasks, and work directly with the CTO, other engineers, and talented designers to help us all get new features and products to launch.
We’re a technology company providing marketing, sales and customer support services ranging from consumer goods to the rapidly changing print media space. Our core customer focus is people who enjoy reading, both offline and online. To that end, we’re investing deeply in books and magazines across many formats, and new, unique, highly-accessible ecommerce experiences to get more people involved and support our favorite charities at the same time.
You’re a friendly but opinionated engineer who can confidently navigate state management and component organization in React and React Native. You’ve been in the game awhile and have production apps running wild. You have good instincts around UX and are just as happy writing code as you are hammering out kinks with the design team as long as the result is a happy customer. Nothing feels finished to you until it has tests and documentation. You’re excited to work with and support other engineers, but have an unmatched solo work ethic that suffocates under micro-management.
- Build development tasks around product ideas and designs
- Create new applications and maintain current products that follow existing patterns, styles, dependencies, and architectures
- Lead web and mobile front-end efforts and mentor other engineers in those technology stacks
- Write beautiful, tested and documented code that’s I/O efficient and easy to understand
- Debug applications across the full stack, diving into services and logs to help diagnose issues
- Support test cycles by interacting with focus groups and meeting and understanding Google and Apple’s submission processes and standards
- Production experience with React and React Native
- Familiarity with Node.js and/or Typescript, and the NPM ecosystem
- Experience with state management tools such as Redux or MobX
- Knowledge of CI/CD workflows and tooling for mobile apps
- Strong history of observing best practices with Git, task management
- Willingness and availability to respond to rare emergencies
- Experience with the ePub format, audiobooks, and readers/players
- Experience with fully-native Android and iOS development
- Experience with Flutter. We’re working with React Native now, but always open to new and better tools!
- Full-stack experience, particularly with AWS’s serverless technologies
Please send along your resume, cover email, and links to a portfolio or relevant mobile apps to email@example.com. Looking for a fast path to the short list? You can also pass along your Github account, link us to any open source contributions you’ve made, or share pieces of past projects you think might be relevant. These aren’t requirements, though, so reach out and let’s talk.